Skip to main content

WPF: use IValueConverter to implement dynamic binding to an XML data source ...

Here are some swift details on how to use IValueConverter to implement dynamic binding to an XML data source.

 

Add the XML source to your XAML page/window as a resource. Also add your URL converter that gives you customises your input. You could use XLINQ here to get some nice thingie going. I'm using it for manipulation of a static application map:

 

<Page.Resources>

<XmlDataProvider x:Key="ApplicationMap" Source="ApplicationMap.xml"/>

<src:PageURLConverter x:Key="pageURLConverter"/>

</Page.Resources>

 

Make yourself a Frame and use the XML source and the converter to build the URL that the Frame will hold:

 

<Frame

Name="frameContent"

Source="{Binding XPath=@PageLink, Converter={StaticResource pageURLConverter}}"

NavigationUIVisibility="Hidden"

Focusable="False">                   

</Frame>

 

The converter looks like this:

 

public class PageURLConverter : IValueConverter

{

    public object Convert(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, CultureInfo culture)

    {

        string url = (string)value;

        if (url.StartsWith("http://")) return YourURLManipulateMethod(url);

        else return url;

    }

 

    public object ConvertBack(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, CultureInfo culture)

    {

        return value;

    }

}

 

I used this method in a CRM-type application to whack an Account Code on the end of a URL query string. Allowed me to load a pre-existing ASP.NET component of the CRM into a Frame in the WPF app for the same account the user was working with.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW-TO: Add/edit a field in Team Foundation Server 2012 using Visual Studio 2012

It's been a while since I made a purely technical post...

So, today I wanted to make a change to a Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2012 (TFS2012) instance that I am working with to reflect "Actual" time spent on a task - mainly for reporting purposes, and because I have found in the past that making this minor process adjustment yields a relatively useful metric over the long-term.

I am using the Microsoft Scrum 2.1 Process Template (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ff731587.aspx) for a project that I am working with. So that I don't forget how to do this (again!) I will blog-post the procedure I've used to add this field to the template as a screen-shot-based tutorial, as follows...
Before Assuming you are familiar with the Scrum Process Template (2.1-ish) - open a task and take a look at the "Details" section, as follows:


 This is where I want my "Actual" field to show up.
Get the Power Tools Download and install the latest v…

HOW-TO: Apply a “baseless merge” in Team Foundation Server 2010 (and 2012)

Another purely technical post on TFS...
The scenario We wish to migrate code between branches that do not have a branch/merge relationship, in order to expedite urgent changes being made by a project team, without disrupting on-going BAU development work. Sample branch hierachy/strategy Imagine the following branching strategy in TFS (visible by connecting to TFS via Visual Studio 2010 or 2012):

Essentially you have a "DEV" branch, which has a "QA" branch, which in turn has a "PROD" branch. DEV is the branch that you would be using for BAU development. As a piece of development matures, you move it into QA, where it is tested by your internal QA team. There may be further changes made in DEV that are moved into the QA branch as the QA team pick up issues. Once the QA team are happy with a packaged of changes, they will move them into PROD, which is essentially the hand-over to the customer. The PROD branch represents the software that the customer has.

Mo…

Eclipse/Android error: "Multiple dex files define [...]"

Wow, I am really going nuts blogging this-evening - 2nd post in less than an hour. 


Anyway this is a particularly nasty error that I keep running into with Eclipse/Android when starting the emulator after I have not run it for a little while. Since I run the risk of permanently forgetting the solution to the problem every time I walk away from my Android project (and thus having to spend a painful hour-or-so digging up the procedure again), I will blog it here, for my benefit, and for the benefit of anyone who may also suffer the same problem.


The gist is that when you start the emulator in debug mode (that is, you hit the button in the following image), you get the following error message come out on the console and a nasty popup telling you nothing more than there is an error with your program and you need to fix it:








[2012-04-06 23:20:57 - Dex Loader] Unable to execute dex: Multiple dex files define Lcom/google/gson/ExclusionStrategy;
[2012-04-06 23:20:57 - SimpleList] Conversion to Dal…