Skip to main content

SQL Server - database mail - just “because you can”, doesn’t make it right!!

Was thinking the other day (discussing across the office with a couple of colleagues actually ;-) about using database mail out of SQL Server in relation to using .NET components to send mail – kind of a hot topic for us, or at least one that's heating up.

 

My opinion on this type of thing (thankfully shared by our DBA) is that despite the fact that SQL Server provides a very adequate email platform, and there are lots of MSDN type examples out there showing you how do this type of thing, sending bulk email from the database server (for – e.g. – an email marketing campaign type stuff) is bad form.

 

For one thing you're putting unnecessary load on the server and slowing down applications that are using the server for doing what it's designed to do (manage and serve up relational data), and for another thing – there is simply much better support for doing this type of thing outside of the database, in application code.

 

Here's my analogy; say you want to do some work on your car – among other tools, you have an adjustable spanner and a professional socket set. Using database mail for everything is like using the adjustable spanner for everything "because you can". You save overhead by not having to change tools here and there, but you spend much more time overall trying to get to places in the car that a professional socket set could reach with ease. And your mate who you asked to help you ends up standing around because he wants to use the spanner too…

 

The moral of the story - just "because you can", doesn't make it right!!

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW-TO: Apply a “baseless merge” in Team Foundation Server 2010 (and 2012)

Another purely technical post on TFS...
The scenario We wish to migrate code between branches that do not have a branch/merge relationship, in order to expedite urgent changes being made by a project team, without disrupting on-going BAU development work. Sample branch hierachy/strategy Imagine the following branching strategy in TFS (visible by connecting to TFS via Visual Studio 2010 or 2012):

Essentially you have a "DEV" branch, which has a "QA" branch, which in turn has a "PROD" branch. DEV is the branch that you would be using for BAU development. As a piece of development matures, you move it into QA, where it is tested by your internal QA team. There may be further changes made in DEV that are moved into the QA branch as the QA team pick up issues. Once the QA team are happy with a packaged of changes, they will move them into PROD, which is essentially the hand-over to the customer. The PROD branch represents the software that the customer has.

Mo…

HOW-TO: Add/edit a field in Team Foundation Server 2012 using Visual Studio 2012

It's been a while since I made a purely technical post...

So, today I wanted to make a change to a Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2012 (TFS2012) instance that I am working with to reflect "Actual" time spent on a task - mainly for reporting purposes, and because I have found in the past that making this minor process adjustment yields a relatively useful metric over the long-term.

I am using the Microsoft Scrum 2.1 Process Template (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ff731587.aspx) for a project that I am working with. So that I don't forget how to do this (again!) I will blog-post the procedure I've used to add this field to the template as a screen-shot-based tutorial, as follows...
Before Assuming you are familiar with the Scrum Process Template (2.1-ish) - open a task and take a look at the "Details" section, as follows:


 This is where I want my "Actual" field to show up.
Get the Power Tools Download and install the latest v…

Eclipse/Android error: "Multiple dex files define [...]"

Wow, I am really going nuts blogging this-evening - 2nd post in less than an hour. 


Anyway this is a particularly nasty error that I keep running into with Eclipse/Android when starting the emulator after I have not run it for a little while. Since I run the risk of permanently forgetting the solution to the problem every time I walk away from my Android project (and thus having to spend a painful hour-or-so digging up the procedure again), I will blog it here, for my benefit, and for the benefit of anyone who may also suffer the same problem.


The gist is that when you start the emulator in debug mode (that is, you hit the button in the following image), you get the following error message come out on the console and a nasty popup telling you nothing more than there is an error with your program and you need to fix it:








[2012-04-06 23:20:57 - Dex Loader] Unable to execute dex: Multiple dex files define Lcom/google/gson/ExclusionStrategy;
[2012-04-06 23:20:57 - SimpleList] Conversion to Dal…