Skip to main content

Telecom New Zealand Exchange Tour - Mayoral Drive and Airedale Street...

Believe it not, we were welcome to take photos! So here are a few...


Carrier X’s “Unbundled Copper Local Loop” (UCLL) gear:



Carrier Y’s UCLL gear:



The Airedale “Main Distribution Frame” (MDF):



The Mayoral Drive “Cable Well” (where all the cabling for the entire exchange enters the site – in the basement) – copper below and fibre above. The clear tubes are pumping pressurised super-dry air down the pipes containing copper:




Mayoral Drive Cable Well again; this is where the incoming cables start to get split up, before they are channelled through the floor into the MDF:



Mayoral Drive; the upper level of the Cable Well, you can see further splitting going on there and juuust visible are some fibre splitters in black casing – I think they called them “FOTS" (20101129 - EDIT: they did - Fibre Optic Transmission System).



The MDR MDF; fibre on the right, copper on the left:



MDR; a fibre patch tray that a tech had been (accidentally?) left open. Interestingly I was asked mot to use a flash here (not that my camera had one), as that would wreck havoc with the fibre optics. Each plastic bag there contains a splice:




Comments

  1. Very interesting post, and nice shots.

    I wish my local exchange was opened like these ;).

    Ruchard5

    ReplyDelete
  2. That takes me back. I remember 'block lacing' an inter rack tie between 2 of the Airedale MDF rows back in 1976? as a member of the exchange installation group! Andy Turner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly was an interesting tour. I work for an organisation that is currently unbundling dozens of exchanges throughout New Zealand, which is a fascinating process to be involved in. Our software development team works mainly on line-of-business products; this tour really helped me understand what's actually going on behind the B2B portals and OSS/BSS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW - thanks for your comments/interest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HOW-TO: Add/edit a field in Team Foundation Server 2012 using Visual Studio 2012

It's been a while since I made a purely technical post...

So, today I wanted to make a change to a Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2012 (TFS2012) instance that I am working with to reflect "Actual" time spent on a task - mainly for reporting purposes, and because I have found in the past that making this minor process adjustment yields a relatively useful metric over the long-term.

I am using the Microsoft Scrum 2.1 Process Template (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ff731587.aspx) for a project that I am working with. So that I don't forget how to do this (again!) I will blog-post the procedure I've used to add this field to the template as a screen-shot-based tutorial, as follows...
Before Assuming you are familiar with the Scrum Process Template (2.1-ish) - open a task and take a look at the "Details" section, as follows:


 This is where I want my "Actual" field to show up.
Get the Power Tools Download and install the latest v…

HOW-TO: Apply a “baseless merge” in Team Foundation Server 2010 (and 2012)

Another purely technical post on TFS...
The scenario We wish to migrate code between branches that do not have a branch/merge relationship, in order to expedite urgent changes being made by a project team, without disrupting on-going BAU development work. Sample branch hierachy/strategy Imagine the following branching strategy in TFS (visible by connecting to TFS via Visual Studio 2010 or 2012):

Essentially you have a "DEV" branch, which has a "QA" branch, which in turn has a "PROD" branch. DEV is the branch that you would be using for BAU development. As a piece of development matures, you move it into QA, where it is tested by your internal QA team. There may be further changes made in DEV that are moved into the QA branch as the QA team pick up issues. Once the QA team are happy with a packaged of changes, they will move them into PROD, which is essentially the hand-over to the customer. The PROD branch represents the software that the customer has.

Mo…

Eclipse/Android error: "Multiple dex files define [...]"

Wow, I am really going nuts blogging this-evening - 2nd post in less than an hour. 


Anyway this is a particularly nasty error that I keep running into with Eclipse/Android when starting the emulator after I have not run it for a little while. Since I run the risk of permanently forgetting the solution to the problem every time I walk away from my Android project (and thus having to spend a painful hour-or-so digging up the procedure again), I will blog it here, for my benefit, and for the benefit of anyone who may also suffer the same problem.


The gist is that when you start the emulator in debug mode (that is, you hit the button in the following image), you get the following error message come out on the console and a nasty popup telling you nothing more than there is an error with your program and you need to fix it:








[2012-04-06 23:20:57 - Dex Loader] Unable to execute dex: Multiple dex files define Lcom/google/gson/ExclusionStrategy;
[2012-04-06 23:20:57 - SimpleList] Conversion to Dal…