Skip to main content

Eclipse, Android Development Problem - "Error: Error generating final archive: Debug Certificate expired"

A really nasty problem, could have burnt through a fair bit of time.

Luckily I found this article after looking at the "Problems" tab in Eclipse and seeing my debug certificate had expired at the exact minute that I started getting the error message:

https://sites.google.com/site/322261/post-q-a/errorerrorgeneratingfinalarchivedebugcertificateexpired

Resolution was reached as follows:

Renaming the debug.keystore file and running a "Clean". Eclipse put a new debug.keystore in place and away I went...however on the next build I get the following trace (my App is called SimpleList):


[2011-08-01 22:32:47 - SimpleList] ------------------------------
[2011-08-01 22:32:47 - SimpleList] Android Launch!
[2011-08-01 22:32:47 - SimpleList] adb is running normally.
[2011-08-01 22:32:47 - SimpleList] Performing com.infostructure.simplelist.SimpleListActivity activity launch
[2011-08-01 22:32:47 - SimpleList] Automatic Target Mode: using existing emulator 'emulator-5554' running compatible AVD 'Magic'
[2011-08-01 22:32:47 - SimpleList] Uploading SimpleList.apk onto device 'emulator-5554'
[2011-08-01 22:32:48 - SimpleList] Installing SimpleList.apk...
[2011-08-01 22:32:50 - SimpleList] Re-installation failed due to different application signatures.
[2011-08-01 22:32:50 - SimpleList] You must perform a full uninstall of the application. WARNING: This will remove the application data!
[2011-08-01 22:32:50 - SimpleList] Please execute 'adb uninstall com.infostructure.simplelist' in a shell.
[2011-08-01 22:32:50 - SimpleList] Launch canceled!


Bugger. Not to worry, found the directory with the adb application in it (<...>Eclipse\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools) and run the command as specified - "adb uninstall com.infostructure.simplelist" - command runs fine.

Next build works fine, and I'm back in business.


Comments

  1. This is one of the thoughtful and special post.Your blog is creating an effective Environment in Internet marketing field.
    Android app developers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HOW-TO: Apply a “baseless merge” in Team Foundation Server 2010 (and 2012)

Another purely technical post on TFS...
The scenario We wish to migrate code between branches that do not have a branch/merge relationship, in order to expedite urgent changes being made by a project team, without disrupting on-going BAU development work. Sample branch hierachy/strategy Imagine the following branching strategy in TFS (visible by connecting to TFS via Visual Studio 2010 or 2012):

Essentially you have a "DEV" branch, which has a "QA" branch, which in turn has a "PROD" branch. DEV is the branch that you would be using for BAU development. As a piece of development matures, you move it into QA, where it is tested by your internal QA team. There may be further changes made in DEV that are moved into the QA branch as the QA team pick up issues. Once the QA team are happy with a packaged of changes, they will move them into PROD, which is essentially the hand-over to the customer. The PROD branch represents the software that the customer has.

Mo…

HOW-TO: Add/edit a field in Team Foundation Server 2012 using Visual Studio 2012

It's been a while since I made a purely technical post...

So, today I wanted to make a change to a Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2012 (TFS2012) instance that I am working with to reflect "Actual" time spent on a task - mainly for reporting purposes, and because I have found in the past that making this minor process adjustment yields a relatively useful metric over the long-term.

I am using the Microsoft Scrum 2.1 Process Template (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ff731587.aspx) for a project that I am working with. So that I don't forget how to do this (again!) I will blog-post the procedure I've used to add this field to the template as a screen-shot-based tutorial, as follows...
Before Assuming you are familiar with the Scrum Process Template (2.1-ish) - open a task and take a look at the "Details" section, as follows:


 This is where I want my "Actual" field to show up.
Get the Power Tools Download and install the latest v…

Eclipse/Android error: "Multiple dex files define [...]"

Wow, I am really going nuts blogging this-evening - 2nd post in less than an hour. 


Anyway this is a particularly nasty error that I keep running into with Eclipse/Android when starting the emulator after I have not run it for a little while. Since I run the risk of permanently forgetting the solution to the problem every time I walk away from my Android project (and thus having to spend a painful hour-or-so digging up the procedure again), I will blog it here, for my benefit, and for the benefit of anyone who may also suffer the same problem.


The gist is that when you start the emulator in debug mode (that is, you hit the button in the following image), you get the following error message come out on the console and a nasty popup telling you nothing more than there is an error with your program and you need to fix it:








[2012-04-06 23:20:57 - Dex Loader] Unable to execute dex: Multiple dex files define Lcom/google/gson/ExclusionStrategy;
[2012-04-06 23:20:57 - SimpleList] Conversion to Dal…