Skip to main content

An Emotional Year of Scrum

At CallPlus we're coming up to having completed a year of software development using Scrum. It's been an emotional ride. All things considered, we're better for it in my opinion, and my impression is that that's the opinion of most people in the organisation. I did a talk at the Auckland APN (Agile Professional's Network) Meetup last night - for me, this marked the milestone nicely. Prior to the talk, a recommendation was made to me to run the talk using an "emotional chart" showing the development team's happiness level in relation to our Agile implementation, as a guide for the audience. I thought that was pretty neat concept and certainly worth a try - it was received well - here's the chart I put together:

I call it the "Agile-o-meter". It shows that the transition to being Agile is difficult and fraught with the possibility for things to go wrong. We certainly failed (fast/early?) on our first attempt. This chart is my interpretation of the emotional state of the Team as we moved toward being Agile. The two prominent local maxima in the chart (at approximately horizontal point 1 and point 2) show where we crashed an burned with our first attempt at Scrum, and then subsequently nailed it, with the help of a Scrum Coach. The peak of the second maxima is where we effectively reached the end of our budget for Scrum Coaching and went it alone - we learned a few lessons the hard way (for example that running a Retrospective is really really important!) before we started tracking up again.

The reason I've made the chart a bit fuzzy is to emphasize the fact that this is pseudo-science - it's my interpretation of how the Team felt a certain stages in our implementation. The Scrum practitioner who recommended that I use this chart to "guide" my talk said that he knows a ScrumMaster who does lierally track/measure his Team's happiness level Sprint-on-Sprint; he takes a measure from each Team member from 1-to-10 and uses the output as a tool to see whether things are going OK, or not, then tease out discussion on what's upsetting people, etc. Great idea, I think we'll give it a go.


Popular posts from this blog

HOW-TO: Apply a “baseless merge” in Team Foundation Server 2010 (and 2012)

Another purely technical post on TFS...
The scenario We wish to migrate code between branches that do not have a branch/merge relationship, in order to expedite urgent changes being made by a project team, without disrupting on-going BAU development work. Sample branch hierachy/strategy Imagine the following branching strategy in TFS (visible by connecting to TFS via Visual Studio 2010 or 2012):

Essentially you have a "DEV" branch, which has a "QA" branch, which in turn has a "PROD" branch. DEV is the branch that you would be using for BAU development. As a piece of development matures, you move it into QA, where it is tested by your internal QA team. There may be further changes made in DEV that are moved into the QA branch as the QA team pick up issues. Once the QA team are happy with a packaged of changes, they will move them into PROD, which is essentially the hand-over to the customer. The PROD branch represents the software that the customer has.


HOW-TO: Add/edit a field in Team Foundation Server 2012 using Visual Studio 2012

It's been a while since I made a purely technical post...

So, today I wanted to make a change to a Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2012 (TFS2012) instance that I am working with to reflect "Actual" time spent on a task - mainly for reporting purposes, and because I have found in the past that making this minor process adjustment yields a relatively useful metric over the long-term.

I am using the Microsoft Scrum 2.1 Process Template ( for a project that I am working with. So that I don't forget how to do this (again!) I will blog-post the procedure I've used to add this field to the template as a screen-shot-based tutorial, as follows...
Before Assuming you are familiar with the Scrum Process Template (2.1-ish) - open a task and take a look at the "Details" section, as follows:

 This is where I want my "Actual" field to show up.
Get the Power Tools Download and install the latest v…

Eclipse/Android error: "Multiple dex files define [...]"

Wow, I am really going nuts blogging this-evening - 2nd post in less than an hour. 

Anyway this is a particularly nasty error that I keep running into with Eclipse/Android when starting the emulator after I have not run it for a little while. Since I run the risk of permanently forgetting the solution to the problem every time I walk away from my Android project (and thus having to spend a painful hour-or-so digging up the procedure again), I will blog it here, for my benefit, and for the benefit of anyone who may also suffer the same problem.

The gist is that when you start the emulator in debug mode (that is, you hit the button in the following image), you get the following error message come out on the console and a nasty popup telling you nothing more than there is an error with your program and you need to fix it:

[2012-04-06 23:20:57 - Dex Loader] Unable to execute dex: Multiple dex files define Lcom/google/gson/ExclusionStrategy;
[2012-04-06 23:20:57 - SimpleList] Conversion to Dal…